Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Passion For Writing






 Early on in my writing adventure, I embraced the concept that if I have breath in me, then I have God given moments to share, to write about.  It can be something of little significance or something monumental; a joyful event or one that stirs up a bad memory or hurtful situation. Regardless of its nature, the underlying hope is it might dish up a mighty serving of encouragement or inspiration to another. 

I admit, in all my human-ness, there have been times when the little voices in my head tell me I’ve run out of things to write, stories to share.  My little brain becomes so muddled by the groans and murmurs of everyday life, writing is close to nil. 

God has used such times to discipline and grow me, both as a writer and a woman in dire need of a Savior.  A reminder to myself that reaching others comes through His call on my life and there is nothing I can do more of or less of that will thwart His purpose.   God reveals to me things I might otherwise be blind. I write to bring glory to God; to be a witness to HIS unfailing mercy and love.  

While pen has rested quietly on the table, prayers for direction, diligence, courage rise up. In His perfect timing and with move of the hand, words spill onto a page; not always intended for a wide audience, not always for publication or distribution.......simple words.......reaching into another heart…in     need of a Savior.

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.
I say it just begins
to live that day.

  Emily Dickinson

6 comments:

Sylvia R said...

Great perspective in this, Donna. We definitely should not think of our writing as something God gives us to do just for wide-spread distribution. I think what we produce for a smaller scale is actually more likely to get read and used. As for the writer's block topic you touch on a bit, Denise Hughes published what I think is a very helpful post several months back. Here's the link to it, for if you haven't seen it and would like to check it out:
http://denisejhughes.com/overcoming-bloggers-block/
(And I love that little Emily Dickinson poem, too!)

Trish said...

Missing our daily Facebook greetings but know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you Donna!

Floyd said...

You captured the heart of those called by our Father to write. It doesn't always need to reach the masses… One heart may be all Father wants to reach with our word. His word… Excellent post and heart.

donna said...

Sylvia and Floyd...thanks for the visit and your encouraging comments.

Trish...love you too! You can find me here most days.

Mrs. Mac said...

It's nice to find you here again Donna. God has directed you, your heart AND pen in hand. You go girl!

Terry said...

dear donna...i missed reading this post..today i had to stay home from church because yesterday i fell flat on my seat on the ice and somehow hurt my foot and so i stayed home today....wanting something good to read, i decided i had better come here because when i read your posts i go away "full"! ..i am kind of glad you had a new post up
donna, you will never run out of thins to write about...even when you TELL about things, it is never boring and quite often has been helpful too,especaily when you set everyone laughing their heads off!, so you had better never lay down your pen...you must keep on writing your poems and stories for us!...i love you very much on this cold cold lords day!...love terry